Please note: If you are having problems reading this web page on your phone or tablet, please turn it to landscape so that you can see all of the text.
Year 3 Home Learning
Week 10: commencing 29th June 2020
Welcome to Week 10 of your home learning.
PLEASE NOTE THE PRINTABLE VERSION IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY. ALL LINKS AND RESOURCES WILL NEED TO BE DOWNLOADED DIRECTLY FROM THIS LEARNING PAGE.
Quick reminder: We want you to send us photographs of your work so that we can publish them.
Email your pictures to Mrs Elnaggar or Mrs Forryan (through your School Jotter emails) or ask an adult to send it to us at email@example.com or
(or you can even send us a message with it on Facebook or Twitter).
If you have any questions, please email us. We need your help - this is something that we have never done before so if you find any links that don't work or anything else that doesn't make sense, let us know.
This week is all about adding, subtracting and ordering fractions as well as solving problems involving fractions.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE DATES ON THE LINKS. WE ARE DOING THEM IN A DIFFERENT ORDER TO WHITE ROSE. JUST USE THE RESOURCES IN THESE LINKS
- Work through one lesson each day - there are five lessons per week.
- Practise your times-table facts each day before every lesson for ten minutes using TTRockstars.
- If you want to learn more about multiplying by 10 and 100 or hundredths, go to MyMaths and login to your account. Always do the White Rose lessons first.
In addition Do ONE per day
- Working on Times Table Rockstars – you have an individual login to access this
- Play on Hit the Button - focus on number bonds, halves, doubles and times tables.
- Practise telling the time. This could be done through this game (scroll down to access the game). Read to the quarter hour and the nearest 5 minutes.
- Practise counting forwards and backwards from any given number in 3s, 4s, 6s or 8s
If you feel that you need help with anything, or have forgotten your login for TTRockstars or Mymaths, please send your teacher an email using your school jotter account or adults can email the teacher.
This week, we would like you to read something a little bit different
on Active learn and complete some of the comprehension questions each day.
... it's a comic book called "Unexpected!". Comic books are almost all speech so make sure to put on a different voice for each character. Maybe you could ask an adult to film you reading a page or two and send it to your teacher! We would LOVE to listen to your reading!
Make sure you COMPLETE THE ACTIVITIES by clicking on the BUG you will see on some pages.Day 1: Read from the beginning up to page 6 and answer the questions.Day 2: Read pages 7-12 and answer the questions.Day 3: Read pages 13-17 and answer the questions.Day 4: Read pages 18-end of the book and complete the "Find It!" activity.Day 5: Complete the "Share It" activity. Finally, choose one of the comic book stories and summarise it in twenty words or less.
School code is rxmd
- You could share the text or another book together where you read and discuss (either the whole book for short stories or a chapter a day for longer books).
- Listen to your child read and let them discuss what they have read. Encourage them to read with expression and intonation.
A selection of free to read eBooks can be found on:
- EPIC This is where you will need to go now for free ebooks
type in school code hrn6143
- WORLDBOOKSONLINE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. They made it free when lock down started but now it has to be paid for.
- watch Newsround and discuss what is happening around the world.
Practise the year 3 / 4 statutory words -
You have now worked your way through all of the words on the statutory word list for year 3 and 4 meaning that over the previous few weeks you should have practised spelling all of them.
Use this statutory words list sheet to check which words you have made spelling mistakes with before and then practise them some more until you get them right.
Over the week complete all of the following:
- Learn how to spell the focus words
- Write a definition of each focus word (what it means)
- Where it is possible, write synonyms for each focus word (words which mean the same) and antonyms (words which mean the opposite)
- Use each focus word in a sentence.
Try do a spelling test once a week on the focus words – it takes 10 minutes and keeps your kids on their toes.
Day 1 You are going to practise using speech punctuation again like you did last week.
Day 2, 3, 4 and 5 You are going to write about an animal you have 'discovered' on the island of Neverbelieve.
DAY 1: SPEECH PUNCTUATION
REMEMBER, SPEECH MARKS ARE ALSO KNOWN AS INVERTED COMMAS
Use the links below from last week to remind yourself how to use speech punctuation
Now click the link below and complete the worksheet . You can copy the answers onto a piece of paper if you do not have a printer. After you have finished, check your answers with the answer sheet.
DAY 2: Make a plan
By now you have had lots of practise planning out your work before writing it out. Today you are going to make a plan to write about an animal you have 'discovered' in The Land of Neverbelieve.
You can set your plan out whichever way you like however, there is some information you must include:
Appearance Habitat Diet Behaviour
Think about all you have learned about animal teeth and animal diet e.g. if your animal eats meat (carnivore) it will have canine teeth and you must describe this.
Click on the following links to help you:
Land of Neverbelieve animals This list may help you think of ideas
useful vocabulary A list of words you could use in your writing.
USE THIS INFORMATION TO MAKE A PLAN FOR A SHORT REPORT ABOUT YOUR ANIMAL
DAY 3 AND 4: Write a short report about your animal USING SUBHEADINGS.
Use your plan from yesterday to write your report. Make sure you use some of the vocabulary from the vocabulary list.
Remember it should be in THE PRESENT TENSE and THIRD PERSON (they it etc.)
Day 5: Edit and improve
Make any necessary corrections or improvements to your report. You may also draw and label a picture of your animal.
Don't forget to get an adult to send a picture of your work and the finished poster to your teacher via the class email address . It would be lovely to have some up in the Hall of Fame and you may even get a Golden Ticket.
This week we are still looking at the environment and habitats and the plants and animals that live there.
You are going to create a poster persuading people to look after the environment. Include:
- What causes harm to the environment
- How it affects the plants and animals which live there
- How people can help.
Click on the link below to remind yourself about environmental changes
Create a poster encouraging people to care for the environment
If you have started it, continue with the sportingage PE challenge. If not, why not start now?
This is a PE challenge that you can complete at home. Follow the instructions and input your scores for the first session. Your will then receive a sporting age score. Follow the practice activities on the website and find out if your scores improve in the next few weeks. Good luck!
This is things you have learnt before and should know.
REMEMBER PRACTISE MAKES PERMANENT
1. Name the four layers of a rainforest 2. Name the types of teeth in humans 3. Name the parts of the human digestive system.